A police officer responding to complaints about a noisy birthday party was able to help guests evacuate the home after fire was discovered inside.
Mahwah police say officer Travis Canning arrived at the home around 2 a.m. and noticed smoke as he approached the house. Canning called the fire department and went inside, where he found two men throwing cups of water at a small fire in a first-floor room where a washer and dryer were located.
Several party guests--who were in another part of the house--were ordered to evacuate, and everyone inside escaped safely. But the fire soon spread and eventually destroyed the home.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Authorities say the fire appears to have been an accident, but it remains under investigation.