A day after Trenton schools announced early dismissals due to heat, Reading schools made the same decision.
With temperatures expected in the 90s with high humidity Thursday, the Reading School District in Berks County, Pennsylvania announced that all schools would close early.
"Due to the record-setting excessive heat wave expected this afternoon and predicted heat index, ALL RSD students will be dismissed early on Thursday, Sept. 8," said a message on the school district website.
Schools will dismiss as follows:
- Reading High School - 11:30 a.m.
- All Elementary Schools - 11:40 a.m.
- Reading Intermediate High School and All Middle Schools - 12:15 p.m.
- AM-Pre-Kindergarten - Normal dismissal at 10:45 a.m.
- There will be no PM-Pre-K and no PM Vo-Tech
Camden city schools also closed early Thursday, dismissing at 1 p.m.
School officials expected to announce Thursday night if they will dismiss students early again on Friday.