Thousands of golf fans across the Philadelphia area and around the world are heading to the Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa. for the 2013 U.S. Open.
For the first time in more than 30 years the area will host one of golf’s four majors. Practice rounds kick off this Thursday with the championship rounds to follow. Several major roadways are now closed.
We've provided a list of road closures and detours to help you navigate and plan your trip.
Parking Lot Closures:
Rose Tree Park (RED Lot) closed for the remainder of the U.S. Open due to previous weather circumstances and projected weather conditions. Spectators driving to the Championship will be directed from Rose Tree Park to alternate nearby parking at Granite Run Mall, approximatey 2.9 miles away. Road signs marked RED Lot will be in place to direct spectators to the new parking location.
PPL Park (BLUE Lot) in Chester, Pa. will operate as scheduled.
- Haverford Road will be closed between College Avenue & Ardmore Avenue. The road will be closed effective Sunday, June 9th and will reopen on Monday, June 17th.
- Ardmore Avenue will be closed between Haverford Road & Darby Road. The roads will be closed effective Sunday, June 9th and will reopen on Monday, June 17th.
- Ardmore Avenue/Ellis Road will be closed between Darby Road & Lawrence Road, June 10–16 between 6 AM & 9 PM.
- College Avenue will be closed between Haverford Road & Coopertown Road, June 10–16 between 6 AM & 9 PM.
- Eastbound: County Line Road will be detoured at Lancaster Avenue. Detour will be east on Lancaster Avenue to West Wynnewood Road, south to Haverford Road.
- Westbound: the detour will begin on Haverford Road at Argyle Road to West Wynnewood Road, north to Lancaster Avenue west.
- Passengers using other Regional Rail Lines can transfer to the Paoli/Thorndale Line at 30th Street, Suburban Station or Market East Station in Center City.
- Free shuttle bus service to and from Rosemont Station and Merion Golf Club will be provided.
- You should plan for a 10 minute trip on the shuttle buses, depending on traffic.
- Passengers requiring an accessible station should take the Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail Line to Radnor Station and make the train conductor aware so that he may advise the U.S. Golf Association
(USGA). The USGA will provide shuttle buses to transport these passengers to Merion Golf Club from Radnor Station.
- The service plan for the Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail Line is as follows:
Monday – Friday:
5:00 a.m. – 8:15 p.m. (Service every 25-30 minutes)
8:22 p.m. – 11:52 p.m. (hourly train service towards 30th Street Station)
Saturday and Sunday:
6:00 a.m. – 7:45 p.m. (Service every 30 minutes)
7:48 p.m. – 10:48 p.m. (hourly train service towards 30th Street Station)
- Spectators Traveling to the Championship can also take the Norristown High Speed Line to the Ardmore Avenue Station. The station is within walking distance to the golf course. Directional signage will take spectators from the station to Gate 3 which is adjacent to the 12th hole. Passengers can connect to the Norristown High Speed Line at 69th Street Transportation Center in Upper Darby, PA or the Norristown Transportation Center in Norristown, PA.
The service plan for the Norristown High Speed Line is as follows:
5:00 a.m. – 6:45 p.m. (Service every 10 minutes)
6:45 p.m. – 12 midnight (Service every 15-20 minutes)
Saturday and Sunday:
5:00 a.m. – 8:40 p.m. (Service every 10 minutes)
8:40 p.m. – 12 midnight (Service every 20-30 minutes)
Parking lots at Ardmore Avenue Station will be closed during the U.S. Open and limited at Rosemont Station. As an alternate, Paoli/Thorndale Line customers may park at Villanova or Radnor Stations before taking the train to Rosemont.
Norristown High Speed Line Customers traveling to Ardmore Avenue Station, should park at Haverford, Ardmore Junction or Bryn Mawr Stations.