Car Goes Airborne on I-495 in Delaware Leaving Man Dead, Woman & Kids in Other Car Hurt - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Car Goes Airborne on I-495 in Delaware Leaving Man Dead, Woman & Kids in Other Car Hurt

1 Dead, 1 With Serious Injuries After 495 Crash

During a deadly car accident on 495, Wilbert Mable was killed and one 8-year-old boy has serious injuries. (Published Thursday, July 23, 2015)

A crash where a sedan went airborne closed all lanes of southbound I-495 in Delaware Thursday morning and left one driver dead and a woman and three children hurt.

Wilbert Mable, 35, of Wilmington, Delaware lost control of his 2001 Chevrolet Malibu just after 7 a.m. along I-495 northbound just south of US Route 13 in New Castle, said Delaware State Police.

The Malibu veered from the center lane into the left lane then onto the grass median where it struck a berm before becoming airborne while entering the southbound lanes where it landed upside down on the front of Michelle Nichols 2012 Chrysler 200, said investigators.

Mable was trapped in his car and died at the scene. Nichols, 29 or Newark, Delaware, had three children in the backseat at the time. Nichols suffered non-life-threatening injuries, said police. Medics rushed an 8-year-old boy, 6-year-old girl and 5-year-old boy from the scene. the younger children suffered minor injuries while the older child suffered more serious injuries that required treatment at AI DuPont Hospital for Children.

Road Reopens After Deadly I-495 Crash

[PHI] Road Reopens After Deadly I-495 Crash
A two-car wreck on southbound lanes of I-495 in New Castle County Thursday morning left four people hurt and one dead. The road remained closed for hours near U.S. Route 13.
(Published Thursday, July 23, 2015)

Police said all three children were buckled up at the time but none were in proper child restraint seats.

As a result of the crash, all lanes of southbound I-495 were closed and traffic was diverted onto Route 13 as I-95 served as an alternate route.

Police investigated the wreck as they searched for a cause. They finally reopened the roadway around after more than three and half hours but some residual delays remained.

Police didn't expect to file any charges.