As the Eagles entered the stretch run of the 2017 season, players realized that their time together was running short, that the team would never be the same again.
The same is true of the coaching staff.
Frank Reich is gone. John DeFilippo is gone. After their exits, there are plenty of new faces and new roles for existing ones. The Eagles finally made all their coaching changes official on Wednesday afternoon.
Here's an overview:
• WRs coach Mike Groh promoted to offensive coordinator
• RBs coach Duce Staley promoted to assistant head coach/RBs coach
• Assistant QBs coach Press Taylor promoted to QBs coach
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles and their NFL rivals from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
• OL coach Jeff Stoutland promoted to OL coach/run game coordinator
• Gunter Brewer hired as WRs coach
• Carson Watch hired as assistant WRs coach
• Coaching assistant Trent Miles promoted to offensive quality control/running backs
• Coaching assistant Spencer Phillips promoted to offensive quality control/quarterbacks
Doug Pederson interviewed Groh and Staley for the vacant offensive coordinator position after Reich left for the Colts' head coach job. He settled on Groh, but Staley got an extra title and is expected to have an increased role in game planning and will have additional duties as the assistant head coach.
Taylor, who is a holdover from Chip Kelly's staff, will take over for DeFilippo. He already has a rapport with the Eagles' quarterbacks after being the team's assistant QBs coach for the past two seasons.
Brewer comes from the University of North Carolina, where he coached Eagles second-year wideout Mack Hollins. During his career in the college ranks, he has coached some future big-time NFL receivers like Randy Moss, Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon. His new assistant, Walch, spent the last two years in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos.
Stoutland, Miles and Phillips all got promotions as well. It seems likely that with Staley taking on more responsibilities as assistant head coach, it gave the Eagles a chance to have Stoutland have more responsibility in the run game. Likewise, Miles can also help with the backs.
Phillips will basically take over Taylor's assistant quarterbacks coach position.