Projected first-round pick and possible Eagles target Gareon Conley is being accused of rape, according to TMZ. Cleveland.com also reports a top NFL prospect is being accused of sexual assault, but does not name the prospect.
Conley, 21, strongly denies the accusation, per TMZ. Attorney Kevin Spellacy told Cleveland.com the allegation is "ridiculous and ludicrous."
No charges have been filed. No arrests have been made. According to Cleveland.com, the player is "listed as a suspect in police reports and is under investigation in connection with an April 9 accusation."
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles and their NFL rivals from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Conley has decided to not attend the draft in Philadelphia. He was previously on the list of players who would attend.
The Eagles obviously have a great need at cornerback and Conley, from Ohio State, is widely considered to be one of the top cornerback prospects in the draft. Some consider him to be the second-best prospect after his college teammate Marshon Lattimore.
The timing of this allegation will make it tough for NFL teams to complete their own investigations of what might have occurred. The NFL draft will start on Thursday night, which leaves little time to investigate. Last year, a video of Laremy Tunsil smoking out of a gas mask appeared just before the start of the draft and the offensive lineman dropped to the 13th pick.
NFL teams, the Eagles included, put a lot of stock into their own investigations.
"Each case, you have to judge individually," Eagles VP of football operations Howie Roseman said last week when asked about Joe Mixon. "You gotta do your research, you gotta go through the whole process. We talked about having an unbelievable security team led by Dom (DiSandro). And so we get all the information and we make the decision."
The Eagles might not have enough time to gather all the information in regard to Conley.