EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Giants have hired former Carolina Panthers executive Dave Gettleman as their general manager.
The Giants (2-13) announced the hiring of the 66-year-old Gettleman on Thursday and planned to introduce him at a news conference Friday.
Gettleman has a history with the Giants. He spent 15 seasons with the franchise before becoming Carolina's general manager from 2013-2016, a span in which the Panthers played in the Super Bowl after the 2015 season. He was fired after the following season when Carolina missed the playoffs.
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles and their NFL rivals from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
Gettleman will be the Giants' fourth general manager since 1979, following George Young, Ernie Accorsi and Jerry Reese, who held the job for 11 seasons before he was dismissed on Dec. 4 along with coach Ben McAdoo (see full story).
Cardinals: Ageless Fitzgerald mum on future
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Larry Fitzgerald might well be the most popular athlete in the history of the state of Arizona.
The wide receiver's resume is packed with Hall of Fame-caliber statistics accumulated over 14 seasons with the Cardinals team that drafted him third overall in 2004. Add to that his easy-going personality combined with a remarkable durability -- he's missed six games of his 224 since joining the league -- and off-the-field contributions.
A year ago, Fitzgerald and the Giants' Eli Manning shared the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award.
And impressively, at age 34, he's still playing at a high level, all while staying mum on whether he will return for another season.
Last week, he said he would take some time off when the season ends to figure it out.
His uncertainty matches big questions with other Cardinals, including whether coach Bruce Arians will stick around for a sixth season, and whether quarterback Carson Palmer will be back with a mended broken arm at age 38 (see full story).
Cowboys: Bryant talks struggles, nixes pay cut idea
FRISCO, Texas -- Dez Bryant didn't seem sure how to respond when asked if he would be willing to take a pay cut after perhaps the most difficult season of the Dallas receiver's career.
Once the 2014 All-Pro came to his senses, he was emphatic.
"Hell no, man," Bryant said Wednesday, three days after the Cowboys were eliminated from playoff contention with a loss to Seattle. "I believe in me."
Bryant opened up in his first lengthy session with reporters in weeks, taking responsibility for a subpar season by saying he let frustrations affect him during games. But he also said some of those frustrations were rooted in the offensive scheme, which he said he would probably address with owner Jerry Jones and coaches in the offseason.
The eighth-year pro also blamed some of his struggles on knee tendinitis, something that hadn't been revealed. Bryant was listed on the injury report for three weeks earlier in the season, including one week when he missed two practices when an ankle injury also was listed (see full story).