Eagles, ballplayers, coaches and more greats make up the 2008 class of the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame.
The fifth class into the Philly Sports Hall honors a diverse group of living and dead legends from seven different sports and sportswriting.
Here is the entire listing of this year's class:
- Mickey Vernon (Baseball)
- Ed Delahanty (Baseball - Philadelphia Phillies)
- 1929 Philadelphia Athletics Baseball World Series Champion
- Lionel Simmons (Basketball - LaSalle University)
- Herb Magee (Basketball - Philadelphia University coach)
- Maurice Cheeks (Basketball - Philadelphia 76ers player and coach)
- Al Wistert (Football - Philadelphia Eagles)
- Harold Carmichael (Football - Philadelphia Eagles)
- Fred Shero (Hockey - Philadelphia Flyers)
- Leroy Burrell (Track and Field)
- Dorothy Porter (Golf)
- Tommy Loughran (Boxing)
- Stan Hochman (Legacy of Excellence Sportswriter)
"This celebration of Philadelphia’s all-time greats comes at an exciting time in our city’s sporting history, with the Phillies and the Soul having just celebrated championships this year," said Ken Avallon, President of the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame.
The ceremony will be held Thursday night in Philadelphia.