Circuit judges at a Manhattan federal appeals court have denied an appeal by the NFL Players Association on behalf of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, saying he "failed to meet the requisite standard."
"Upon due consideration, it is hereby ORDERED that the Appellant’s motion for an injunction pending appeal is DENIED," the court said.
Elliott will now be ordered to begin serving his six-game suspension for alleged domestic violence immediately, barring another granted appeal.
He'll miss games against the Falcons, Eagles, Chargers, Redskins, Giants and Raiders before rejoining team activities and practices on Dec. 18. He'll be available for the final two games of the season against the Seahawks and Eagles.
Elliott is backed up on the Cowboys roster by vetran backs Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden, both of whom are more than adequate replacements.
"A lot of people are thinking that the running game is going to falter because Zeke's not here, but that's not the case," Morris told NBC 5 earlier this month. "Will we miss him? Yeah. But at the same time, the train goes on. We're going to do our job."
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has threatened to sue the NFL over a proposed contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell, a dispute apparently sparked by Elliott's suspension, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.
Jones told the six owners on the compensation committee he had hired high-profile attorney David Boies and was prepared to sue if the group voted to extend Goodell's deal, the person told the AP.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one has been authorized to reveal details.
Jones also has expressed disapproval with the structure and compensation in the contract extension, another person familiar with the proposed lawsuit says. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity for the same reason.