Copycat Field Jumper: I Was Proving a Point - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Copycat Field Jumper: I Was Proving a Point

Betz admitted he wanted to be tasered, then changed his mind



    Tom Betz was grinning from ear to ear as he walked out of Southwest Detectives Wednesday night.

    The 34-year-old was arrested Tuesday for jumping the field at Citizens Bank Park during the Phillies-Cardinals game.

    Betz ran in the footsteps of 17-year-old Steve Consalvi, who jumped the field Monday night. The teen was brought down by a Philadelphia Police officer's Taser, the man was not.

    "I just wanted to go out there and prove, at least in my case, that they didn't need to tase anybody or, you know, do anything like that," Betz said.

    When asked if he wanted to get tasered, the man first said "I kinda was." He then quickly changed his tune.

    "I was actually hoping not to get tase which is the reaction that actually happened."

    The aspiring DJ tweeted his intentions before running onto the field Tuesday saying: "turn on the phillies game, im about to be on the feild!!!!!!!!!!"

    Betz has become a lighting rod for Phillies fans since his field rush. Fans booed and chanted "tase him" as he was led off to jail.

    He faired even worse online. "A selfish idiot. What was the benefit? It goes to show that intelligence is not distributed equally," CJC4 wrote on

    "Cole got rattled after that fat POS distracted him. Luckily, we still won the game. Fatboy should feel relieved we didn't lose because the threats would be plentiful," wrote JDub28.

    Consalvi's mom also blasted the guy for acting like an "idiot."

    Betz said he's sorry for stopping the game and offered his apologies to the team. "I know for some people I ruined the game and I'm sorry for that. I'm a fan as well," he said.

    With that last comment, Betz quickly ended his mini-press conference saying he didn't have time for any other questions.

    He then spent several minutes walking around the parking lot of the police station looking for his ride. Unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found, forcing him to walk back inside and call for a ride from a payphone.

    Betz is out on bail. He faces drug possession charges, criminal trespassing and related offenses.