Bride's Uncle Dies After Philly Wedding Brawl

One man died and three people were arrested after a fight broke out between dozens of guests at two weddings at a Philadelphia hotel Sunday. Another hotel guest shot video of the brawl and posted it on YouTube.

The uncle of a bride died and three people were arrested at a Philadelphia hotel Sunday after a fight broke out between dozens of guests from two wedding parties forcing police to use batons and a Taser to end the melee.

Investigators tell NBC10 about 75 to 100 people were fighting in the lobby of the Sheraton Society Hill hotel located at 1 Dock Street. Police say at one point they were outnumbered by the crowd and had to call in extra patrols twice. Dozens of officers from across the city came to the hotel. Police say they used force to control the crowd.

The uncle of one of the brides, Vincent Sannuti, 57, suffered a heart attack and was pronounced dead at Jefferson Hospital. NBC10 has learned that he was celebrating his birthday. He was not a part of the fight, according to police.

Police say members of one wedding party were fighting as another wedding party arrived to the hotel. Police say someone was hit and the fighting between the two groups ensued. Many of the guests were intoxicated, according to police.

Max Schultz, who was at the hotel celebrating his 15th birthday, shot video of the brawl and posted it on YouTube.

"I was up on the second floor watching. It was bedlam, out of hand." Schultz said.

In the video, you can see police officers using batons to break up a fight between two men. A woman in a long white dress, who appears to be the bride, can be seen amongst the commotion and then whisked away by two men.

Two people were arrested for disorderly conduct. One of those suspects, identified as Matthew Sofka, 26, of Westfield, N.J., was subdued with a Taser, according to police.

NBC10 was there as Sofka left Central Detectives on Monday. Investigators say he put a police sergeant in a headlock. He's charged with assaulting an officer, among other charges.

Police say there could be more arrests.

Police are reviewing the videotape to see if there were circumstances during that the fight that contributed to the man's death.

The hotel released a statement Sunday in response to the fight.

"We continue to cooperate with the authorities and as this is an on-going police investigation any questions should be directed to the local police department. Our sincerest condolences go out to the family for their loss."

 Stay with for more on this developing story.

Contact Us