Pope Francis began his first-ever visit to the U.S. on Tuesday, Sept. 22, after spending several days in Cuba -- and he has a packed six-day itinerary.
The pope arrived at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, he will meet with President Barack Obama at the White House, follwowed by a trip around the Ellipse that the Archdiocese of Washington is calling a "parade." This is the general public's best chance to catch a glimpse of the pope in D.C.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Pope Francis will then attend Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States at St. Matthew's Cathedral.
Later Wednesday afternoon, he will celebrate Mass outside of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. The Mass outside the Basilica will be in Spanish and will be a ticketed event.
The pope will leave for New York City on Sept. 24 and address the United Nations general assembly on the morning of Sept. 25. The pope will then hold a multi-religious service at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.
Pope Francis then plans to head to Philadelphia on Sept. 26 to take part in the World Meeting of Families, a gathering of Catholics held every three years.
See his full itinerary below:
TUESDAY, SEPT. 22 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 4 p.m. ET: Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 9:15 a.m. ET: Welcome ceremony and meeting with President Obama at the White House
- 11:00 a.m. ET: Papal Parade along the Ellipse and the National Mall (time approximate)
- 11:30 a.m. ET: Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral
- 4:15 p.m. ET: Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
THURSDAY, SEPT. 24 (WASHINGTON, D.C.; NEW YORK CITY)
- 9:20 a.m. ET: Address to Joint Meeting of the United States Congress
- 11:15 a.m. ET: Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- 4:00 p.m. ET: Depart from Joint Base Andrews
- 5:00 p.m. ET: Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 6:45 p.m. ET: Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPT. 25 (NEW YORK CITY)
- 8:30 a.m. ET: Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m. ET: Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4 p.m. ET: Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
- 5 p.m. ET: Procession through Central Park (time approximate)
- 6 p.m. ET: Mass at Madison Square Garden
SATURDAY, SEPT. 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)
- 8:40 a.m. ET: Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m. ET: Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m. ET: Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
- 4:45 p.m. ET: Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
SUNDAY, SEPT. 27 (PHILADELPHIA)
- 9:15 a.m. ET: Meeting with bishops at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11 a.m. ET: Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4 p.m. ET: Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- 7 p.m. ET: Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
- 8 p.m. ET: Departure for Rome