Shop Failed Electric Inspection Before Boardwalk Fire

One of the stores on a New Jersey boardwalk that was destroyed by fire failed an electrical inspection after Superstorm Sandy.
WATCH: Cleanup of boardwalk fire expected to be done next month

Records obtained by the Asbury Park Press show Kohr's Frozen Custard failed a rough inspection of its meter and electrical equipment. There's no paperwork to indicate the ice cream shop received a certificate to have the power turned on.

The shop's lawyer, Mark Antin, tells the newspaper his client believed it was the responsibility of his landlord to arrange any inspections.
The landlord owns an adjacent store which passed its inspection.
No one is blaming the failed inspection for the Sept. 12 blaze, which destroyed dozens of businesses along the boardwalk in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.
Investigators determined the fire started in wiring under the boardwalk.

The wiring, installed after 1970, was submerged under salt water and sand for some time during Superstorm Sandy, according to officials. They say over time the exposure allowed the wires to degrade and spark.

The state has pledged $5 million from a $15 million allocation of post-Sandy aid to reimburse the towns for demolition and debris removal.

The cleanup is expected to be complete by the end of November.   

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us