Man Dies After Being Bitten by Rattlesnake While Camping

Authorities say a western Pennsylvania man died after he was bitten by a rattlesnake while sitting near a campfire.

Armstrong County Coroner Brian Myers says 39-year-old Russell Davis of Freedom was camping with his family Saturday in Weedville, about 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. He was bitten shortly before midnight.

Davis was initially taken to Penn Highlands Health Care in St. Mary's but was then airlifted to a Pittsburgh hospital. He went into cardiac arrest in the helicopter and was taken to ACMH Hospital in Kittanning, where he was pronounced dead Sunday morning.

Myers ruled the cause of death as anaphylactic reaction to a venomous snake bite and ruled it an accident. No autopsy will be performed.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us