Wild Police Chase Through Philly, South Jersey Ends After Van Flips Over

UPDATE: Police have released new information on the suspect. DETAILS HERE 

A two-hour long police chase came to an end when officers clipped the suspect's vehicle, causing it to flip over in South Philadelphia.

The incident began at 7:23 p.m. Monday as police in Oaklyn, New Jersey, tried to initiate a motor vehicle stop of a suspect wanted in connection to a strong arm robbery in Brooklawn, New Jersey.

The suspect, identified by police as Robert Ritter of Blackwood, New Jersey, allegedly sped off in a white van.

SkyForce10 was over the scene as police pursued. The suspect led police on a wild chase towards the Platt Bridge in South Philadelphia. He then continued onto I-95 towards the Walt Whitman Bridge.

The chase continued as the suspect traveled through I-295, Black Horse Pike, Camden, Gloucester City, I-676 back into Camden, back onto the Walt Whitman Bridge, Route 42 South, Route 55 South, the parking lot of the Deptford Mall in Deptford Township, back onto Route 42 northbound, back onto I-676 and onto the Ben Franklin Bridge back into Philly.

The suspect then continued through Chestnut Street onto Front Street towards Arch before turning onto York Street and Frankford Avenue. The van then traveled onto Lehigh Avenue and back onto I-95 around 9:30 p.m.

While on I-95, police vehicles appeared to have the van boxed in and surrounded. However, the suspect managed to weave around the police vehicles and escape and the pursuit continued.

The chase finally ended around 9:35 p.m. at Enterprise and Island Avenue near Philadelphia International Airport when a police vehicle bumped the van, causing it to flip over.

The officers then surrounded Ritter, who was wearing a New York Giants Tiki Barber jersey, and took him into custody.

"He just looked dazed and confused at the time of arrest," said Philadelphia Police Lieutenant John Walker.

Ritter is currently at the hospital and is facing three counts of aggravated assault. He will be extradited back to Oaklyn, New Jersey where he will face more charges.

No police officers were injured during the chase.

Contact Us