Monopoly, the game that has ended friendships and started family feuds that last generations, is changing.
If you've ever played Monopoly at anyone else's house but your own, you know that every human has special rules when they play the board game, known as "house rules." When you go to your aunt's house, does she insist you can't collect rent from other players when you're on the jail square? Or maybe your best friend has a rule about rolling snake eyes that leads to a big cash payout. And if your neighbor makes you take off an article of clothing every time you pass Go, you should probably never go back there ever again.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Well, after toy maker Hasbro did a survey that revealed that 68 percent of Monopoly players have never actually read the official rules and 49 percent make up their own for the game, they decided to add some of the more popular house rules to the official gameplay guide. Which ones will make it to the booklet? That, dear Monopoly players, is actually up to you.
Starting Wednesday and going through April 3, the Monopoly Facebook page will host an open debate over 10 house rules that are in the running to be added to the official rules. Fans can come to the page and argue over which gameplay rules should be added and which ones should be left out. The top house rules that everyone can agree on will go into effect this fall when Hasbro releases a special Monopoly: House Rules Edition board game. And in 2015, the new rules will be added to the classic Monopoly game.
"The Monopoly brand has been has been a pop culture phenomenon for nearly 80 years and "House Rules" have become an important part of the story of the brand," Jonathan Berkowitz, vice president of marketing at Hasbro said in a statement. "We know Monopoly fans have been using House Rules for generations to make the game their own, so we wanted to give them the chance to help us identify the most popular 'House Rules' from around the world to incorporate into the game."
The house rules that will be up for debate are:
1. Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it's your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
2. Dash for the Cash: Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary - 400M dollars instead of 200M Dollars.
3. Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
4. Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double one's)... odds are in your favor, collect 500M Dollars.
5. 3's a Crowd: Are there 3 players in a row on 3 unique properties? Well done, each player gets an extra 500M Dollars.
6. Cash Advance: Don't have enough to buy Boardwalk? With this House Rule, players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money? That's determined amongst the new property owners!
7. Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of 3 every player grabs what they can! Free For All!
8. Mum's the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free. Always. No questions asked. She's just that special.
9. See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
10. Property Boom: Anxious to begin building? We hear you- with this rule, players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.