Jussie Smollett’s Lawyer Warns Chicago Not to Sue ‘Empire’ Actor
In a letter obtained by the Chicago Tribune, Smollett's attorney says he "will not be intimidated into paying" $130,000
What to Know
- All criminal charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett were dropped earlier this month
- Prosecutors said despite dropping the charges that they "did not exonerate" Smollett. Still, the actor has maintained his innocence.
- Smollett completed community service and forfeited his $10,000 bond to the city, prosecutors said
An attorney for Jussie Smollett is warning that if Chicago sues the "Empire" actor for the cost of the investigation into his claim that he was attacked, he'll demand sworn testimony from Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the police chief and others.
In a letter sent to NBC 5, Mark Geragos says Smollett "will not be intimidated into paying" the $130,000.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Geragos says if the city follows through on its threat Thursday to sue Smollett , he'll demand sworn depositions from Emanuel, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and the two brothers who told police Smollett paid them to "attack" him.
In January, Smollett reported he was the victim of a homophobic and racist attack. Weeks later, he was charged with lying to police. Last month, prosecutors made the stunning announcement that they were dropping the charges.