Movie Massacre Suspect Hauled Before Judge

The Colorado movie theater massacre suspect made his first public appearance since the mass shooting when he appeared in court Monday, his eyes downcast and his hair still dyed orange and red. Wearing a maroon jailhouse jumpsuit, James Holmes slumped in a chair next to his attorney, silent, with his face expressionless, and he rarely made eye contact with anyone. The hearing lasted no more than 12 minutes before he was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. District Attorney Carol Chambers said Holmes could face the death penalty over the movie massacre that left 12 dead and 58 wounded, some critically, but her decision would be made in consultation with victims' families and could take months. Holmes had been held in solitary confinement at an Arapahoe County facility until the court appearance. Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said that the 24-year-old former doctoral student has "lawyered up" since his arrest and has not been cooperating with authorities. Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester set a hearing on formal charges for next Monday at 11:30 a.m. ET.

Read More

Contact Us