A federal magistrate has ordered a 23-year-old man charged with lying to federal agents about being a missing child from Illinois continue to be held without bond.
U.S. Magistrate Karen Litkovitz said Tuesday she considers Brian Michael Rini, of Medina, Ohio, a flight risk because of a long criminal history, mental health issues and lack of a permanent address.
She scheduled a preliminary hearing for April 19.
Rini was charged last week after DNA tests ruled him out from being Timmothy Pitzen. The Aurora, Illinois, child disappeared in 2011 at age 6.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Police picked up Rini on Wednesday morning after a report of someone wandering the streets of Newport, Kentucky. They said he told them that he was Timmothy and that he had escaped two kidnappers after years of sexual abuse.
Police took him to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for treatment and testing. Federal authorities have said they were skeptical, especially after he refused to be fingerprinted, but didn't want to miss a chance to possibly solve the Pitzen disappearance.
The FBI said DNA testing ruled him out as Timmothy and established his identity as a convicted felon who twice before claimed to be a juvenile sex trafficking victim.
Timmothy vanished around the time of his mother's suicide. She left a note saying that her son was safe with people who would love and care for him, and added: "You will never find him."