Blue Bell Creameries is expanding its recall to include banana pudding-flavored ice cream made at the company's Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, facility after the product tested positive for listeria monocytogenes on Tuesday.
The company asked retailers on Monday to remove all products produced at the Oklahoma facility between Feb. 12 and March 27.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Blue Bell products made at the Oklahoma facility can be identified by checking for the letters “O,” “P,” “Q,” “R,” “S” and “T” following the "code date" printed on the bottom of the product package, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Blue Bell is also recalling seven other products made at the Oklahoma plant, including individually-wrapped Sour Pop Green Apple Bars, Cotton Candy Bars, Almond Bars, Vanilla Stick Slices and No Sugar Added Mooo Bars.
On Friday, the company said it was temporarily closing the Oklahoma facility, while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration investigates.
In March, the illnesses prompted the Brenham, Texas-based creamery to issue the first recall in its 108-year history. The company and health officials said a 3-ounce cup of ice cream contaminated with listeriosis was traced to the plant in Oklahoma.
Listeriosis is a life-threatening infection caused by eating food contaminated with bacteria called Listeria monocytogenes, according to the CDC. The disease primarily affects pregnant women, newborns, older adults and people with weakened immune systems.
In addition to the Broken Arrow plant, the company has two plants in Brenham and one in Sylacauga, Alabama. Those plants will continue to operate and supply products to retail stores.
The recalled ice cream had been shipped to Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wyoming.
For more information, contact Blue Bell at 979-836-7977, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
Along with the banana pudding pints, Blue Bell said the recall now includes the following products made at its Oklahoma plant:
Ice Cream Pints: UPC # 0 71899-05101 5 / Code Date:
- Ice Cream Banana Pudding pint / 021217S
- Ice Cream Butter Crunch pint / 021917S
- Ice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip pint / 022017S
- Ice Cream Cookies 'n Cream pint / 030317S, 030617S
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla pint / 030417S
- Ice Cream Dutch Chocolate pint / 032317S
- Ice Cream Moo-llennium Crunch pint / 032417S, 032517S
Sherbet Pint: UPC # 0 71899-19990 8
- Rainbow Sherbet pint / 021717S, 021817S, 022317S, 030217S
Sherbet Quarts: UPC # 0 71899-18992 3
- Orange Sherbet quart / 032617S
- Mixed Berry Sherbet quart / 032717S
3 ounce Tab Lid Cup: Product # 136
*institutional/ food service cup only
- Rainbow Sherbet / 022417S, 022617S, 022717S
Gold Rim Half Gallon: UPC # 0 71899-03720 0
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla half gallon / 030917T, 031017T, 031117T, 031217T, 031617T, 031717T, 031817T
Brown Rim Half Gallon: UPC # 0 71899-83548 6
- Ice Cream Pistachio Almond half gallon / 031317T
Light Half Gallon: UPC # 0 71899-73501 4
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla Light half gallon / 031917T
Consumers who purchased these items should return them. For more information or questions, call 979-836-7977 or go to bluebell.com.
For More Information