Spanish Woman Dies After Meal at Michelin-Starred Restaurant - NBC 10 Philadelphia
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Spanish Woman Dies After Meal at Michelin-Starred Restaurant

A 46-year-old woman died after eating with her husband and 12-year-old son, who also fell ill

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Why Women's Heart Health is Different
    JOSE JORDAN/AFP/Getty Images
    People walk by the entrance of the Riff restaurant in Valencia on February 22, 2019. - A woman who died after eating at the Michelin-starred Riff restaurant in Spain may have suffered food poisoning, a local court said. Another 29 people who ate at the restaurant in the three days before her death also developed food poisoning.

    A Spanish magistrate has opened an investigation into whether there is a link between the death of a woman and a meal she ate at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Valencia where officials have identified suspected cases of food poisoning.

    A Valencia court statement Friday said the magistrate is awaiting forensic reports and the results of an autopsy. The 46-year-old woman died after eating with her husband and 12-year-old son, who also fell ill, at Restaurant Riff last Saturday.

    The Spanish private news agency Europa Press says authorities have detected 29 cases of diarrhea and vomiting among people who recently ate at Restaurant Riff.

    Bernd Knoeller, the German owner and head chef of the one-star Riff, temporarily closed the restaurant on Tuesday, saying he was cooperating with authorities.