Homeless Vet in Alleged GoFundMe Scheme Freed Pending Trial - NBC 10 Philadelphia
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Homeless Vet in Alleged GoFundMe Scheme Freed Pending Trial

Johnny Bobbitt is facing conspiracy and theft charges

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    GoFundMe Suspect Released, Conditions Set

    One of the three accused in a GoFundMe fraud case that has gripped the country has been released. Johnny Bobbitt was granted temporary freedom on Friday, but it comes under strict circumstances.

    (Published Friday, Dec. 14, 2018)

    One of the men behind an alleged scheme to scam thousands of GoFundMe donors out of more than $400,000 will remain free pending the date of his trial.

    Johnny Bobbitt was granted temporary freedom after facing a judge during a detention hearing Friday at the Burlington County Superior Court. His release is predicated on a plea deal with prosecutors.

    The homeless veteran is facing conspiracy and theft charges.

    Prosecutors say Bobbitt conspired with Katelyn McClure and her former boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, to make up a story in which Bobbitt gave McLure his last $20 when her car ran out of gas.

    GoFundMe Suspect Released

    [PHI] GoFundMe Suspect Released

    One of the men at the center of an alleged GoFundMe scheme that defrauded thousands of donors out of more than $400,000 was released from jail Friday, Dec. 14, 2018. Johnny Bobbitt will remain free pending trial after his public defender reached a deal with prosecutors.

    (Published Friday, Dec. 14, 2018)

    The feel-good story went viral before unravelling as the trio became embroiled in a bitter court battle in which Bobbitt accused the couple of keeping the donations all to themselves.

    Prosecutors say McLure and D'Amico spent the money on luxury items and casino trips.

    McLure maintains that D'Amico masterminded the alleged scheme.

    Couple Charged in GoFundMe Scam Plays the Blame Game

    [PHI] Couple Charged in GoFundMe Scam Plays the Blame Game

    The lawyer for one of three people charged in an alleged conspiracy to raise money through a fake GoFundMe campaign released audio recordings he claims proves his client was forced into the scheme.

    (Published Monday, Nov. 19, 2018)

    Bobbitt's temporary release comes after prosecutors reached a plea deal with his public defender.

    The prosecution had been pushing for detention, but granted Bobbitt his pretrial freedom after he agreed to apply to drug court and showed a willingness to plead guilty to drug and other charges, said Bobbitt lawyer Jay Keesler.

    As part of the plea deal, Bobbitt must submit to pretrial monitoring, remain arrest-free, seek drug and alcohol treatment and avoid contact with McLure and D'Amico.

    EXPLICIT: Newly-Obtained Audio Allegedly Illustrates In-Fighting Between Couple Accused in GoFundMe Scam

    [PHI] EXPLICIT: Newly-Obtained Audio Allegedly Illustrates In-Fighting Between Couple Accused in GoFundMe Scam

    Kate McClure, one of three people accused in an elaborate GoFundMe scam, says she's also a victim. Her attorney says this audio clip she recorded without her boyfriend's knowledge shows that. Hear it for yourself. WARNING: The audio contains explicit language. Viewer discretion advised.

    (Published Monday, Nov. 19, 2018)

    His next court date is scheduled for February 2019.