For July 4th, Philly will be rocking with Wawa Welcome America festivities, so it's time to know how to get to all the fun events in town.
Drivers should expect delays and public transportation detours, including in highly trafficked areas like the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Independence Mall.
Below is a breakdown of the road closures. For specific public transit detours, you can check out the SEPTA website.
Here is a list of items you can and can't bring to the party.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Here is a day-by-day list of closures and the events occurring that will be happening in the area of the road blocks:
July 4, 2019: Celebration of Freedom Ceremony and Salute to America Independence Day Parade
• Chestnut Street, between 5th and 6th Streets, from prior day closures will be in effect until 7:00 p.m.
• 6th Street, between Market and Chestnut Streets, from prior day closures will be in effective until 3:00 p.m.
• 3rd Street, between Arch and Walnut Streets, will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• 4th Street, between Arch and Walnut Streets, will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• 5th Street, between Arch and Walnut Streets, will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• Chestnut Street, from Front Street to 7th Street, will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• Chestnut Street, from 7th Street to 10th Street, will be closed from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
The remainder of the morning parade route will be closed at approximately 10:00 a.m. on July 4, 2019.
Parade Route: Staging in the 400 block of Chestnut Street. Proceeds west on Chestnut to 9th Street, north on 9th Street to Market Street, east on Market Street to the dispersal area on Front Street.
All streets affected by the parade will be cleaned before being re-opened to vehicular traffic.
Party on the Parkway / Wawa Welcome America July 4th Concert & Fireworks
All closures listed below are in effect from approximately 4:00 a.m. on July 4 to 5:00 a.m. on July 5 unless otherwise noted:
• Benjamin Franklin Parkway from 18th Street to Eakins Oval (all lanes)
• Eakins Oval (all lanes)
• Kelly Drive between Eakins Oval and Fairmount Avenue (Kelly Drive inbound closed at Fountain Green Drive beginning at approximately 5:00 p.m.)
• Rear of Art Museum – Anne d’Harnoncourt Drive (Media Entry at 25th Street and Kelly Drive)
• 2000-2100 Winter Street
• MLK Drive from Falls Bridge to Eakins Oval
• Spring Garden Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and 31st Street
• 23rd Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Eakins Oval
All closures listed below are in effect from approximately 4:00 a.m. on July 4 to 2:00 a.m. on July 5 unless otherwise noted:
• 1900 Race Street
• 1800-1900 Vine Street
• I-676 Off-Ramp at 22nd Street
• I-676 On-Ramp at 22nd Street
• I-76 eastbound Off-Ramp at Spring Garden Street
• Spring Garden Tunnel
• Park Towne Place between 22nd Street and 24th Street
• 22nd Street between Winter Street and Pennsylvania Avenue (local access maintained for Park Towne residents via complex driveway on 22nd Street)
• 21st Street between Winter Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
• 20th Street between Arch Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
• 19th Street between Callowhill Street and Cherry Street
The following roads will be closed on July 4 beginning at approximately 1:00 p.m. until approximately 1:00 p.m. on July 5:
• All roads from Arch Street to Spring Garden Street, 18th Street to 22nd Street (local access maintained for residents)
• All roads from Arch Street to Fairmount Avenue, 22nd Street to Corinthian Street (local access maintained for residents)
• 16th and 17th Streets, between Arch Street and Spring Garden Street will be closed only if conditions warrant in the interest of public safety
• 1600-1700 Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be closed only if conditions warrant in the interest of public safety
Due to public safety interests relating to the fireworks show, all roads listed below will be closed from 5:00 p.m. on July 4 to approximately 1:00 a.m. on July 5, unless noted otherwise:
• Kelly Drive from Fairmount Avenue to Fountain Green Drive
• Lemon Hill Drive
• Sedgley Drive
• Waterworks Drive
• Poplar Drive
Roads will be reopened as event infrastructure is removed and sanitation operations conclude. Many roads listed above should be reopened to vehicular traffic prior to the times indicated.