Philadelphia’s annual Wawa Welcome America celebration is underway. Check out the full list of events and road closures below.
Thursday, July 2 – Wawa Hoagie Day at Independence Mall, Market Street, between 5th and 6th Streets.
Expect area congestion. No streets in the area are closed for this event.
Friday, July 3 – Liberty Block Party in Independence Mall area
- 5th and 6th streets, between Market and Chestnut streets, will be closed to vehicular traffic, from 9:30 a.m. until midnight.
- Chestnut Street, between 5th and 6th streets, will be closed to vehicular traffic, from 9:30 a.m. on July 3d through Saturday, July 4th at 5 p.m.
- The inbound inner lanes of the Parkway will be closed July 3 from 9:30 a.m. through 5 a.m. on Sunday, July 5
- The outbound inner lanes of the Parkway will be closed to vehicular traffic, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for set-up related to the concert. The outbound lanes will open, from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., for evening rush, and then close, from 6:30 p.m. on July 3 to 5 a.m. on July 5.
- The outer lanes of the Parkway will be open to vehicular traffic throughout the day.
- Chestnut Street, between 5th and 6th streets, will be closed to vehicular traffic, from 9:30 a.m. on July 3rd through Saturday, July 4th at 5 p.m.
- From 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Chestnut Street, 5th to Front streets; 3rd Street, from Chestnut to Walnut streets, and on 4th Street, from Market to Chestnut streets.
- From 10:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Chestnut Street, from 6th to 9th streets; 9th Street, from Chestnut to Market streets and Market Street, from 9th to Front streets; 5th Street, from Arch to Walnut streets; 4th Street, from Arch to Walnut streets; 3rd Street, from Walnut to Arch streets; 8th Street, from Arch to Walnut streets; 7th Street, from Walnut to Arch streets; 6th Street, from Arch to Chestnut streets; 2nd Street, from Walnut to Arch streets; Strawberry Street, from Market to Chestnut streets, and Bank Street, from Market to Chestnut streets.
- From 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Front Street, Dock Street, Arch Street and the Chestnut Street viaduct, from Front to Market streets.
- The remainder of Chestnut Street and the entire parade route will be closed to vehicular traffic prior to the parade, beginning at about 10 a.m., until after the parade concludes. All streets affected by the parade will be cleaned before being re-opened to vehicular traffic.
- A limited-access perimeter (event participants and residents only) will be established on July 4th --from 18th Street to 25th Street -- and on Race Street to Pennsylvania Avenue, from 5 a.m. to midnight.
- The entire width of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be closed to vehicular traffic, from 5 a.m. to midnight.
- The Parkway, from 20th to 25th streets, will be closed for extensive cleanup overnight until about 5 a.m. on Sunday, July 5th.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
- Market Frankford and Broad Street Lines: Additional trains will be added on each line beginning at 4 p.m. Saturday, providing service every 5 to 7 minutes through 1 a.m. on Sunday. Regular weekend “Night Owl” rail service will be effect throughout the holiday weekend, providing trains every 20 minutes until 5 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. 15th Street Station on the Market-Frankford Line and City Hall and Race-Vine Stations on the Broad Street Line provide easy walking access to and from the Parkway.
- Regional Rail: SEPTA will extend Regional Rail service for riders leaving Center City on Saturday night after the fireworks display on the Parkway. Eighteen trains will depart from Suburban Station between 11:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. Individual line schedules have been posted at most stations and online at http://septa.org/events/holiday.html
- Trolley: Additional trips on Routes 10, 11, 13, 34 and 36 will be added on Saturday evening headed to Center City before the concert and fireworks show on the Parkway, with additional trolleys departing Center City on each line after Parkway events end.
- Bus: Riders should be on alert for detours in and around Center City that will begin as early as 6:00 a.m. on Saturday. Fifteen lines will be affected including Routes 5, 7, 9, 17, 21, 32, 33, 38, 42, 43, 44, 47, 48, 57 and 61. These detours will remain in place until well after events on the Parkway have ended. Specific line-by-line changes have been posted on the System Status page of www.septa.org. After the fireworks show on the Parkway ends, additional bus service leaving Center City will be added on some bus routes as needed.