Tractor-Trailer Ran Light in Fatal Crash: Police

A man was killed and six other people were hurt after police say a tractor trailer blew through a red light and plowed into three cars Monday morning in Galloway Township.

"It was unbelievable. It's the stuff you see on TV, " said eyewitness Gerald Gensoli.

Police say 23-year-old Greg Hoover of Seabrook, New Jersey was driving the big rig west on Route 30 around 11 a.m. as 22-year-old Amberline Faison of Bridgeton, New Jersey sat in the passenger seat.

According to investigators, Hoover drove through a red light at the intersection of Pomona Road and the White Horse Pike. The tractor trailer then struck three vehicles, a Toyota Tundra, Mercedes Benz and Chevy Cruze.

"I caught the truck come out of the corner of my eye and it never slowed down," Gensoli said.

After the impact, the Cruze overturned and was pinned underneath the tractor trailer. The driver of the Cruze, identified as 69-year-old William Anthony Jr., of Hammonton, New Jersey, was killed in the crash.

Hoover and Faison were both taken to the hospital. Police have not yet revealed their conditions.

The driver of the Tundra, identified as 36-year-old Gary Brenner of Galloway, the driver and passenger of the Mercedes Benz, identified as 60-year-old Robert Bozzuto and 71-year-old Sandra Nilan, and two passengers inside the Cruze, identified as 66-year-old Joyce Anthony and 41-year-old William Anthony III were also hospitalized. Police have not yet revealed their conditions.

Before he was taken to the hospital, police say Brenner, an off-duty Galloway Township Police Officer, reported the accident on his cell phone and then rendered aid to the people inside the other vehicles.

Gensoli described the chaotic scene, which included fuel leaking from the truck.

"The woman was screaming, the driver of the truck was screaming because I know he was getting the diesel in his eyes and it was burning his skin and his eyes," Gensoli said. "There is no doubt in my mind he ran the red light."

The intersection was closed for five hours before it finally reopened. The intersection also has a dangerous history, according to Galloway Township Patrolman Steve Garrison.

"We've had hundreds of accidents here. About a year ago, the state actually redid the intersection and to be honest with you, since they redid it, we've seen a dramatic decrease in accidents here."

Officials say charges are pending the completion of the investigation.


Contact Us