The incidents happened in February along remote trails in the Dividing Creek area in Downe Township.
Joan Jerdel’s Golden Retriever Raymond was one of the dogs that died after going for a walk on Feb. 10.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
He gulped down a tennis ball-sized hunk of raw meat that he found along the trail, according to Jerdel.
Within minutes the 5-year-old Retriever began to shake and foam at the mouth as he struggled to breath. Jerdel rushed him to a local animal hospital but it was too late for Raymond -- he died less than 30 minutes later.
The apparent cause of death was poisoning, said authorities.
Michelle Jenkins' dogs suffered a similar fate the next day after eating bait meat in the same area, she said.
Authorities were examining stomach samples and meat samples to find out exactly what poison possibly killed the dogs.
After the dogs died more allegedly poisoned meatballs were found along the trail, authorities said.
It wasn’t clear who left the poisoned meat along the trail or why they would want to hurt any animals.
“Our highest hopes from our family and the community is that this devious perpetrator is found out and punished to the fullest extent of the law,” Jerdel said. “Our family is distraught about the loss of our dog.”
Original poison tests on the meatballs came up empty but it's possible that the meat contains a poison that wasn't included in the test.
A $500 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest in the case. Anyone with details about who could be behind the poison meat should contact the Cumberland County SPCA.
Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from NBCPhiladelphia.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and NBC Philadelphia. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter. And, get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)