A suicidal man doused himself with gasoline and then set himself on fire inside his Mayfair row home on Tuesday and the flames spread to his kitchen, according to Philadelphia Police.
Firefighters were called to the 2900 block of Magee Avenue at 4:42 p.m.
Nine neighboring homes were evacuated because officials were concerned there was a natural gas leak. That did not turn out to be the case and the residents were allowed to return home.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The man suffered third degree burns over forty percent of his body, according to police.
He has voluntarily committed himself for psychiatric evaluation and investigators say no criminal charges have been filed.
No one else was injured.