Dan Stamm

Signal Problems Persist as SEPTA Cancels Friday Morning Paoil-Thorndale Line Train

The morning after hundreds of SEPTA commuters were stranded, signal problems persisted leading to the cancellation of a morning train Friday but SEPTA got things running again before the morning rush.

SEPTA suggested passengers use the Norristown High Speed Line as an alternate as they canceled the first Paoli-Thorndale train of the morning early Friday. [[371769092, C]]

But, SEPTA alerted NBC10 traffic reporter Katy Zachry around 5:20 a.m. that service would resume on the line. SEPTA said the first inbound trains will depart Malvern at 5:44 a.m. and Thorndale at 5:50 a.m.

The earlier cancellation came as Amtrak crews -- Amtrak runs the tracks along the line -- worked to restore normal power to the line.

"I can't believe how incompetent they handled this, they should have a plan in place," stranded passenger Robert Zirkel told NBC10's Drew Smith Thursday night. "Whoever is in charge of the customer service should really be fired for tonight's events."

It all started around 5 p.m. Thursday near SEPTA's Ardmore Station. Officials said the stoppage was due to an Amtrak power issue. SEPTA officials said six trains with an estimated 500 passengers were stranded along the line when the problems began. This estimate didn't include passengers waiting for trains on the platform.

SEPTA planned to provide shuttle buses for outbound passengers from 30th Street Station but not for inbound service Friday as passengers would need to ride the NHSL to the 69th Street Terminal where they can pick up the Market-Frankford Subway to get downtown.

Commuters lined up at 30th Street Station awaiting buses to transit locations along the route. Buses finally arrived around 8:30 p.m., more than three hours after the problem began. [[371758271,C]]

Chris McConathy told NBC10 he opted to call an Uber from the Radnor Station to take him home after he was delayed for hours. "SEPTA made no efforts to even refund people for the trip or anything," McConathy said he finally arrived home about 3 hours after his train should have arrived.

Officials said the Paoli-Thorndale line will remain suspended until further notice.

Contact Us