2-Year-Old Boy Struck During 3rd Police-Involved Shooting in 1 Day

The mother of the 2-year-old boy talks about the shootout that injured her son

Just hours after a report surfaced that Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey had asked for a federal examination in the use of deadly force by his officer, police were involved in three shootings in one day in Philadelphia, including one in which a young boy was grazed in the head. 

"We got behind the wall to shelter away from the bullets," Shyree, the 2 year old's mom told NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez. The mother, who did not share her last name, is is 7 and a half months pregnant.

Police say they were called to the 4500 block  of Wayne Avenue Wednesday night in the Germantown section of the city for a report of a gunman shooting at two other men. When they arrived, police say they confronted an armed man who allegedly refused to drop his gun. The officers then fired at the suspect 14 times, according to investigators.

Police say the unidentified suspect fired eight shots. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:37 p.m. Police say his weapon was recovered at the scene.

Shyree says her son Zaree was grazed in the head. "We noticed there was blood dripping, but we didn't know it was that bad until we got him into the light."

It's still unknown whether he was struck by police or by the suspect.

Earlier on Wednesday, police say they were called to 56th and Greenway Avenue shortly after 3 p.m. for a report of another shooting. Law enforcement sources tell NBC10 that Trey Nelson, 19, and Jerome Davis, 50, were delivering kitchen appliances in the neighborhood when the two got into a heated argument.

According to the sources, Davis noticed his gun was missing from his holster and suspected Nelson of taking it. When Davis questioned him, Nelson allegedly pulled out the gun and shot him.

Responding police officers confronted Nelson shortly after, according to investigators.

"They observed the offender running away from the scene," said Philadelphia Police Deputy Commissioner Thomas Wright. "As the police wagon approached the male, he turned around and opened fire immediately, placing officers in danger. Officers had no time and no choice but to defend themselves and they started shooting at the suspect."

Wright says the officers, having little time to get out, shot at Nelson while they were still inside their police wagon. Their bullets went through their vehicle's windows and struck Nelson several times. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he remained in critical condition. Police also say Davis was in stable condition.

Police say they recovered a 9 mm weapon at the scene. No officers were injured in the shooting.

"They confronted an armed assailant who just shot someone around the corner," said Wright. "The officers out here are doing a tough job. They're asked to make split second decisions."

Earlier, police say they received a call reporting an armed 26-year-old man standing on the 2400 block of North 5th Street around 10:45 a.m. Responding officers shot the suspect after he allegedly pointed a gun at them. The suspect is currently in stable condition.

Today's incidents marked the fifth, sixth and seventh police-involved shootings in Philadelphia within the past week. Last night, a former officer on the run from the law was shot and killed by federal officers inside an Upper Darby Hotel room, though that incident didn't involve Philadelphia officers.

Also on Tuesday, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey revealed that he asked federal authorities to review the department's use of deadly force.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us