Officer Arrested for Allegedly Holding War Vet Against His Will

A veteran of Philadelphia's police force could lose his job after being charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful restraint and false imprisonment for an alleged attack on a war veteran.

The charges against Officer Kevin Corcoran stem from an Easter morning incident in which Corcoran was caught on camera roughing up a man before taking the man on a 16-minute ride, according to Philadelphia Police.

The Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office alleges Corcoran, a 9.5-year veteran of the force, began yelling at a group of people near 13th and Lombard Streets in the early morning hours of March 31, 2013.

Someone in the group, which included Roderick King, had questioned Corcoran after he allegedly made an illegal turn with his patrol car, according to prosecutors.

King’s own lawyer Kevin Mincey identified his client saying that they filed a lawsuit against the city, police department and Corcoran.

Corcoran, in full uniform, allegedly exited his vehicle and began to yell at King’s group prompting witnesses to videotape the encounter.

Witnesses said that Corcoran slapped the phone out of one person’s hands and then began to berate King saying “Don’t f##?!g touch me,” according to prosecutors. An incensed Corcoran continued to approach King -- who claimed he never touched the officer -- who continued to make an effort not to touch the officer.

"My first thought was that I was getting ready to get beat up," King said through a release from his attorney. "It’s dark, I don’t know where I am, I feared for my safety."

According to prosecutors, Corcoran grabbed King by his chest, threw him against the police SUV, cuffed him and put him in the back of the vehicle.

Authorities allege that Corcoran then drove King somewhere off North Broad Street -- the opposite direction of the 17th District officer’s station -- telling King that he was under arrest for public intoxication.

King told Corcoran that this was the first time he had been arrested and that he was an Iraqi War veteran having served in the U.S. Air Force.

After learning about King’s service, Corcoran drove to 13th and Rodman Streets where he uncuffed the victim and let him go without charges.

In total, King remained in cuffs for about 16 minutes.

Corcoran surrendered Wednesday on the misdemeanor charges and was arraigned. He was released after posting bail. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 21.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said he suspended Corcoran for 30 days with the intent to dismiss.

Contact Us