Violence Heats Up in Philadelphia Leaving at Least 9 Shot, 1 Dead

A hot and violent night in Philadelphia left nine young men shot outside and one man shot dead in front of his father.

Gunfire rang out just after 11 Sunday night at N Lawrence and Wingohocking streets in the city’s Feltonville neighborhood leaving a 21-year-old man shot in the face in front of a friend’s home.

Medics rushed the man to Temple University Hospital where he later died. The unidentified victim’s father witnessed the shooting and tried to chase down the shooter.

“The father actually chased the shooter eastbound… while the father was chasing the suspect, the suspect fired (shots) at the father, however he missed the father,” said Philadelphia Police chief inspector Scott Small.

The suspect – dressed in all black – then jumped in a black Toyota sedan and sped off.

Small said it could have been worse.

“As bad as this was, we’re lucky we don’t have more victims than the one because it’s a hot night and there were a lot of people out here after the shooting took place,” said Small.

The shooting was one of at least five overnight that remained unsolved.

About 40 minutes earlier, a 23-year-old man was shot in the leg along the 1300 block of W Olney Avenue in Olney. He was taken to nearby Einstein Hospital after going to a nearby Dunkin’ Donuts for help.

A short time later, a 27-year-old man was struck three times in the stomach and taken to Roxborough Hospital in unknown condition.

Then, around 11:45 p.m. two teenagers were shot at Cottage and Haworth streets in the city’s Frankford neighborhood. The 18-year-old and 19-year-old victims were taken to Aria Health - Frankford in stable condition, said police.

About 45 minutes later, gunfire rang out along the 1800 block of E Cornwall Street in Kensington leaving at least 19 shell casings littering the street.

“Upon police arrival they found two victims – a 22-year-old male shot multiple times in both of his legs also a 24-year-old male shot multiple times in both legs and also once in his back,” said Small.

Police rushed both men to Temple Hospital where the 22-year-old was stable and the 24-year-old critical, said investigators.

Many people sitting outside to beat the heat witnessed the shooting but no motive nor suspect description was immediately available.

Also, a 19-year-old was shot around 12:30 a.m. along the 5700 block of Hadfield Street in the Kingsessing neighborhood. The shooting left him in stable condition.

Finally, a man was shot in the chest and face around 5:25 Monday morning along Woodland Avenue near S May Street in Kingsessing. The 33-year-old was taken to Presbyterian Hospital in critical condition.

Police didn’t immediately make any arrests in any of the shootings. None of the incidents appeared connected.

“We’ve had several crime scenes in the various areas of the city… we are treating them all right now as isolated incidents,” said Small.

The violence overnight came after another shooting Sunday night where a 16-year-old boy was shot in the neck.

Contact Us