Man Killed After Attacking Officer, Officer Shot in Knee, Police Say

The shooting occurred on the 5700 block of Overbrook Avenue.

NBC Universal, Inc.

A man was shot and killed after allegedly attacking a Philadelphia police officer with a hammer in the city’s Overbrook neighborhood Tuesday afternoon. The officer was also shot in the knee as he and his partner fired at the suspect.

A 35-year-old officer and a 43-year-old officer, both from the 19th District, responded to a report of a person with a weapon in the basement of a home on the 5700 block of Overbrook Avenue shortly after 3 p.m. 

"We received information in that initial call that it was possible this person had mental issues," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said. "Whether or not that's the case, we don't know. Because it all happened so quickly."

When they entered the home, they were confronted by 31-year-old Koffi Dzima, who was armed with a hammer and a pickaxe, police said. The officers ordered Dzima to drop the weapons but he ignored their commands and walked toward them, according to investigators.

The 35-year-old officer shot Dzima with a Taser. After dropping to the ground, Dzima got back up and rushed at both officers, police said. Both the officers and other people inside the home then retreated out of the front door as Dzima continued to rush at them, according to investigators. 

Dzima then struck the 35-year-old officer in the head with the hammer, knocking him to the ground, police said. Dzima, still armed with the weapons, then stood over the officer.

"All units! All units! My partner's down," the officer's partner yells in audio obtained by NBC10.

Both officers then pulled out their weapons and opened fire, striking Dzima multiple times.  

During the shooting, the 35-year-old officer was shot in the right knee. Commissioner Outlaw said she did not know if the officer was accidentally shot by his partner or if he accidentally shot himself as they fired at Dzima.

"It's unclear at this time whether the officer suffered the gunshot wound after discharging his firearm or whether the gunshot wound occurred as a result of his partner firing her weapon," Outlaw said.

Dzima was taken to Lankenau Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:29 p.m.

Residents who knew Dzima told NBC10 he worked for a local poison ivy removal business.

The officer was taken to Presbyterian Hospital where he was treated for his gunshot wound to the knee as well as a head wound from being struck by the hammer. He is currently in stable condition.

"The good news is that he's talking. He's smiling. He's laughing. He's in good spirits," Outlaw said. "We do believe he's going to have to have surgery."

The second officer was not injured during the incident.

"I'm grateful that these officers had the wherewithal to work through tunnel vision and anything else that can kick in to utilize their training and their skills in order to not only defend themselves but others," Outlaw said.

The incident was captured on the officers' body worn cameras. Police continue to investigate.

Contact Us