Shoppers Run Off After Shot Fired Inside Center City's Fashion District Mall

According to investigators, the bullet ricocheted off of a granite wall inside of the Center City Philadelphia mall

NBC Universal, Inc.

Lee esta historia en español aquí.

Philadelphia's Fashion District was placed on a lockdown Tuesday night after a teenager opened fire inside the Center City shopping mall, police said.

According to police, an 18-year-old gunman came into the Fashion District, formerly known as The Gallery, from 9th Street around 6:30 p.m. He shot at two males before pieces of his gun fell apart.

Investigators say a bullet ricocheted off of a granite wall. At least one person suffered minor injuries after the shot rang out, but did not require medical attention.

Officers were working to determine whether the bullet, or bullet fragments, struck anyone else standing nearby.

Philadelphia police officers found a gun magazine and a shell casing inside the mall Tuesday night (left). The bullet ricocheted off of the granite wall, according to investigators (right).

“All the kids ran, everybody ran. Like, ran for their lives” a mall worker told NBC10. “I ran anywhere for a safe spot to be honest, like that ain’t no joke. A shooting on a Tuesday.”

Investigators said they don't believe anyone was directly hit by the gunfire, however,

Philadelphia Police Inspector DF Pace said the incident could have been worse.

"It looks like at the time that the gun was fired, that the magazine somehow fell out of gun, and the shooter was unable to fire the weapon any further because there was no source of ammunition," Pace told NBC10.

Police in the area heard the shot fired, Pace said. When they arrived, they found a bullet casing and the gun magazine, but not a handgun.

From witness information and video footage, officers were able to get a description of a suspect, Pace said.

Police were able to track him down in the area and place him into custody.

On Wednesday, the Office of Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner announced plans to charge Samir Smith, a.k.a. Mahkay Goldsmith, with aggravated assault and weapons charges.

"My office thanks Philadelphia Police officers for their quick apprehension of this defendant," Krasner said. "The events for which Samir Smith is alleged to be responsible created panic among workers and bystanders in and around a busy shopping center."

It was unclear if Smith had an attorney who could comment on his behalf.

The Fashion District closed early Tuesday night, but planned to reopen at regular time Wednesday.

NBC10 reached out to Fashion District Philadelphia for a statement and is waiting to hear back.

There are additional resources for people or communities that have endured gun violence in Philadelphia. Further information can be found here.

Contact Us