More than 3,000 chicks died in a chicken house fire at a south-central Pennsylvania farm, a fire chief reports.
A malfunctioning heater caused the fire Monday afternoon at the farm in West Donegal Township, about 20 miles southeast of Harrisburg, Rheems Fire Chief Charles Stanford said.
Farm hands worked to hold the fire in check until firefighters arrived, but it wasn't enough to save the 3,600 chicks, the chief said.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The fire caused about $16,000 damage to the building.