Traveling in the Hunting Park section of Philadelphia may get a little more difficult, at least for a year as new construction begins on the 5th Street bridge.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced Tuesday the 5th Street bridge between Hunting Park Avenue and Bristol Street will undergo reconstruction as part of a $7.8 million project.
The bridge, which runs above the abandoned Conrail line, will close Tuesday July 5 and is expected to be reopened July 2023.
The transportation agency provided the following detour suggestions:
- Northbound 5th Street Passenger and Truck Detour: Left on Hunting Park Avenue, Right on 6th Street and Right on Cayuga Street;
- Southbound 5th Street Passenger Vehicle Detour When Bristol Street Is Closed: Right on Cayuga Street, Left on 6th Street and Left on Hunting Park Avenue;
- Southbound 5th Street Passenger Vehicle Detour When Bristol Street Is Open: Left on Bristol Street, Right on Rising Sun Avenue and Right on Hunting Park Avenue;
- Southbound 5th Street Truck Detour: Turn left on Wyoming Avenue, Right on Rising Sun Avenue and Right on Hunting Park Avenue; and
- Pedestrian Detour: Bristol Street, 3rd Street and Hunting Park Avenue.
Part of the overall project was already completed: a reconstruction of the Erie Avenue bridge between 3rd Street and Lawrence Street, PennDOT said.