Firefighters battled a fire at a speciality food store at the popular Bucks County shopping center Peddler's Village Tuesday night.
The fire started at the Nut Kettle store, which sells holiday snacks and nuts, at 63 Peddler's Village in Lahaska. The owner, four employees and the owner's child all escaped the store unharmed.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
"One of the co-workers grabbed the 3-year-old and she runs out," said Lyzette Lopez, one of the employees.
Firefighters were able to bring the flames under control. No one was injured during the blaze.
Officials have not yet revealed the cause of the fire. Lyzette Lopez, an employee at the Nut Kettle, told NBC10 however that a popcorn machine inside the store caught fire. Among the items destroyed by the fire were dozens of family recipes for roasted nuts, some about 50-years-old. Lopez comforted the store's devastated owner.
"Her soul is in this store and she has a very sick husband," Lopez said. "They lost their only income that they will have through this time."
Workers at Nut Kettle, which has been a staple at Peddler's Village for years, are hoping the community will help them rebuild.
"It was heartbreaking because it's been part of our lives ever since I was in high school," said Donna Wheelan, a longtime customer.
Peddler's Village is a popular attraction in Bucks County, especially during the holidays. The historic village features 65 retail shops and merchants, three restaurants, a hotel and a family entertainment center. In addition to shopping and dining its also the home of numerous festivals, craft competitions, weddings, parties and picnics.