A waitress at a southern New Jersey diner helped an 86-year-old man get out of his car shortly before it caught fire.
Waitress Angela Avenarius said Charlie Flowers is a regular at the Bridgeton Family Diner. She said his car appeared to be overheating when he pulled up to the diner on Thursday.
"It was really dangerous," she told NBC10 Friday. "I thought the car might explode."
Avenarius said she rushed out yelling to Flowers and helped him exit his newly-leased red Chevrolet Impala.
"He was a little reluctant to get out," she said. The pair then took shelter under the diner's awning.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Firefighters arrived before noon Thursday. Neither Avenarius or Flowers were injured.
"I wasn't that frightened. I just wanted to get out of there," Flowers said. "I didn't have time to be frightened."
Flowers was shaken up but stayed for lunch. He says his insurance claim will cover the damage. Speaking to Avenarius on the phone Friday, he thanked her for keeping him from harm.