Mourning Slain Darby Borough Officer Mark Hudson

Authorities identified Sunday the off-duty Darby Borough police officer, who died Saturday after he was shot in the chest in his Delaware County home.

Darby Borough Police Chief Robert Smythe confirmed 26-year-old Mark Hudson, a 4-year department veteran, was killed Saturday.  Sources told NBC10 the slain officer was shot by his own service revolver from several feet away.

A woman, who was inside the home when officers arrived, was taken away in handcuffs.  Neighbors identified the woman as Hudson's girlfriend and told NBC10 police were called to the home for domestic disputes several times over recent months.

Sources said that woman, suffering from an unrelated medical issue, was taken to a local hospital -- where she is expected to be arraigned on previous domestic violence charges Sunday night.  Hudson's handcuffs will be placed on her wrists when the bedside arraignment takes place, according to multiple sources.

The slain officer -- called a "shining star" in the Darby Borough Police Department by Smythe -- was one of 50 volunteer firefighters in Yeadon Borough. He joined the fire company at the age of 16 and volunteered for the past 10 years.

"At first he was a little shy and then he opened up and he's everybody's friend," said Yeadon Fire Co. Chief Michael DiIenno. "He's go this infectious smile. He's just goofy and he's fun to be around. Everybody at the firehouse here loved him."

DiIenno said his crew members are distraught over Hudson's death and spent Sunday adorning the firehouse with black and purple bunting.

He added that Hudson's mother planned to attend Palm Sunday church services and then spend the rest of the day with the minister's family.

The off-duty officer was at his Magnolia Street home in Darby Township Saturday afternoon when he was shot in the chest in a 2nd floor bedroom around 4:30 p.m.

Medics rushed him to Penn Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia, where he was later pronounced dead.

Richard Womack, Darby Township's police commissioner, said detectives processed the scene overnight and that a gun was recovered.

Hudson worked part-time for the police department, said Smythe, who planned to recommend him for full-time duty due to the quality of his work.

DiIenno said he hopes others will honor Hudson.

"Remember him," he urged. "Let the community know that we lost one of our brothers."

Contact Us