A Philadelphia man will stand trial after he was accused of raping his own foster daughter.
Walter Scott, 59, was arrested last year after he allegedly raped his 7-year-old foster daughter on two separate occasions.
Nadeem Bezar, an attorney representing the girl, told NBC10 that the child reported the incident to a social worker as well as her biological mother. According to Bezar, the Presbyterian Children’s Village, the foster care placement agency, failed to investigate the allegation. Bezar also says Scott was not arrested until five months after the first alleged rape.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Bezar later filed a lawsuit against Presbyterian on the child’s behalf. A spokesperson for Presbyterian denied the allegations against the agency.
Scott appeared in court on Monday where he was told he would stand trial. NBC10’s Harry Hairston tried to interview Scott after his court appearance but was pushed back by his son and told to “get out of his face.”
Scott’s trial is scheduled for early next year. Kelly Harrell, the prosecuting attorney, tells NBC10 three child witnesses will testify against him.
Scott is currently out on $100,000 bail.
The Department of Public Welfare is the state agency that licenses foster homes. A spokesperson from the agency told NBC10 that any foster parent accused of abusing children is automatically placed on a list preventing them from contacting foster children.