“We Lost Some Real Good Heroes Today”

The identities of the firefighters who died fighting a factory fire this morning in Kensington, have been posted on the firehouse's Facebook page:

The identities of the firefighters who died fighting a factory fire this morning in Kensington, have  been posted on the firehouse's Facebook page:

"It is with deep regret that the Fire Commissioner Ayers announces the death of Lt. Robert Neary and FF Daniel Sweeney, both from Ladder 10, who were killed in the line of duty. Lt Neary and FF Sweeney died on Box 361 Front an York Sts, which was dispatched at 0313 hrs on April 9th, 2012."
Neary, 60, and Sweeney, 25, died fighting a fire in a vacant building in Kensington that was burning out of control. The fire spread to an adjacent furniture store. A team from Ladder 10 returned to inspect and make sure the fire they had put out earlier was still out. That's when a wall and roof collapsed on them, burying them under timber and bricks.
"He's been around the city. He's a Lieutenant that everybody respects," Commissioner Ayers said.
Neary had numerous commendations throughout his career, including rescuing a pregnant woman from the second floor of a burning building in 2000.

"He answered that call again and again, above and beyond service," Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison said.

Firefighter Daniel Sweeney had been with Ladder 10 for nearly six years. His father is a retired Captain with the department. "This was a man who had a very, very bright future," Commissioner Ayers said. Sweeney also had commendations for rescuing an elderly woman who was trapped inside a burning building and for rescuing several occupants from another burning building.

Two other firefighters from the same firehouse were injured in the collapse. Patrick Nally was in intensive care, but in stable condition. Frances Cheney was treated and released from the hospital and home with his family by the early afternoon.

Condolences were being posted on the Facebook page for Engine 7, Ladder 10.
Early in the day, the firehouse posted this message on their Facebook page:

 "We lost some real good heroes today," said Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison.

The fire at 1817 York Street started around 3:30 a.m. It went to five alarms by 3:40 a.m.

City officials said there have been pending investigations on the property for about two years and that the city was "engaged with this particular building and this was a matter that was pending court action," according to Gillison.

Commissioner Ayers asked the community to pray for the victims' families and thanked everyone for their emotional support.

"We come together as a band of brothers and sisters," Ayers said. "We're getting a lot of support, just as we give service to our citizens, they're serving us right now."

Contact Us