What to Know
- Eastbound lanes of Interstate 76 in Center City will close through the weekend.
- The closure will be in place between 30th and South streets.
- The interstate will close from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
One of the busiest stretches of road in Center City Philadelphia will close to drivers through the weekend.
Eastbound Interstate 76 will shut down between 30th and South streets starting Friday night and lasting until Monday morning, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced.
The full closure takes effect at 11 p.m. Friday, but eastbound traffic will already be reduced to one lane by 9 p.m., PennDOT said. The interstate is slated to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
PennDOT advised drivers to take the following detours during the closure:
- Follow eastbound I-676 to southbound Interstate 95 to access I-76; or
- Exit at 30th Street, follow 30th Street around the station, turn right on Market Street, left on 38th Street and straight on University Avenue to 34th Street to access the ramp to eastbound I-76.
Detour signs will also be posted around the closure. During the shut-down, PennDOT will repair and repave a section of the Schuylkill Expressway viaduct.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The I-76 closure adds another headache for Center City commuters this weekend as SEPTA announced a 10-day closure of five trolley lines starting Friday.