A retirement community housing some 250 people was evacuated Friday after the facility lost power during sweltering heat.
The residents, many with health and mobility issues, were taken to temporary shelters in West Philadelphia for the next 24 hours, though fire officials said it could be two days before the residents are able to return home.
"It's hot and sticky," Pavilion Apartments resident Bill Martin said. "I'm waiting for somebody to tell me where to go next. That’s all I can do."
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Officials suspect the building's wiring failed this morning when power went out at the Conshohocken Avenue complex as temperatures soared into the 90s.
Martin said it was frustrating to relocate with his cat during the heat wave.
"It's a little bit stifling," he said.
Philadelphia Councilman Curtis Jones said the facility experienced two previous outages, and the owners' fixes proved insufficient over time.
The Philadelphia Licenses and Inspections department said the owner had been ordered to provide two generators and immediately restore power.