Though most of them will tell you it is their job, both police officers and civilians in the Lower Providence Township community were recognized for saving lives during the Lower Providence Township Board of Supervisors meeting on Thursday, May 15.
“The exceptional efforts of Lower Providence Township police officers and citizens were recognized,” explained the township’s community relations coordinator Denise Walsh. “These efforts led to the arrest and successful prosecution of individuals for bank robberies and burglaries; the apprehension of an armed and dangerous suspect; and resulted in the resuscitation of a woman in cardiac arrest and the rescue of four people from a house fire.
Police Chief Bud Carroll, Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Colleen Eckman, and LPPD Lt. Stanley Turtle presented the commendations to the recipients during the public board meeting.
The following persons were recognized for their efforts:
- For the apprehension and successful prosecution of individuals for five bank robberies in June 2012:
Citizen Commendation – John Gracie of LP Parks and Recreation
Distinguished Unit Citation – Det. Sgt. Terrence Kennedy, Det. Charles DeFrangesco, Sgt. Michael Jackson, Sgt. William Hopkins
- For the apprehension and successful prosecution of two individuals for burglary on December 28, 2012
Distinguished Unit Citation -- Sgt. William Hopkins, Det. Reginald Nealy Jr., Off. Robert Cable, Off. Charles King, Off. Jeremy Bonner
- For the apprehension and successful prosecution of an individual for three bank robberies in March 2013
Distinguished Unit Citation – Det. Sgt. Terrence Kennedy, Sgt. Michael Jackson, Dispatcher Jordan McCourry
- For the apprehension of an armed and dangerous subject on July 25, 2013:
Distinguished Unit Citation – Cpl. Michael Slattery, Off. Robert Heim
- For lifesaving efforts for an individual in cardiac arrest on February 3, 2014:
Distinguished Unit Citation – Off. Cherelle Cutting, Off. Charles T. King
Citizen Commendation -- John Rubendall, Judy Horvath, Bethany Harris, Mark McElwee
- For the rescue of four individuals from a house fire on February 7, 2014:
Commendation for Heroism – Cpl. Michael Slattery, Off. Scott Dreibelbis
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.