Hawthorne's fire chief contained a small house fire while he was headed to a softball game.
Chief Joseph Speranza heard the call at a nearby address on 11th Avenue Sunday.
A cigarette apparently set fire to a wastebasket and was burning some furniture in a bedroom.
Speranza tells The Record newspaper he kept the flames from spreading before the fire department arrived.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The fire chief says everything came together perfectly.
No one was injured.