Police Arrest Man Accused of Shooting 3 People Inside Northeast Philly Bar

Derrick Randall, 25, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, possession of an instrument of crime and reckless endangerment.

NBC Universal, Inc.

Police arrested a man accused of shooting at least three people inside a bar in Northeast Philadelphia early Tuesday evening. 

Derrick Randall, 25, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, possession of an instrument of crime and reckless endangerment.

The shooting occurred around 6:21 p.m. inside Ralph’s Bleigh Street Pub on the 7400 block of Torresdale Avenue. Investigators said Randall began arguing with a woman inside the bar and three to four men surrounded him, possibly to intervene.

Randall then allegedly pulled out a gun and fired multiple shots. There were 15 people inside the bar at the time.

"We know there were patrons in the bar trying to calm the situation down," Philadelphia Police Captain John Walker said. "At some point the male pulls out a gun and begins firing at people."

Theresa Burger, an employee at the bar, told NBC10 she was inside the bathroom when the shots were fired.

"I just thought someone was banging on the bar and saying like, 'Stop. Knock it off.' Not realizing that that noise was actual shots," Burger said.

One man was shot in the leg, buttocks and face. A 33-year-old man was shot in the leg and a 38-year-old man was also shot in the leg.

All three men were taken to Jefferson-Torresdale Hospital and were placed in stable condition.

Police said none of the victims were involved in the initial argument.

Randall initially wouldn't leave but later fled the scene, according to investigators. Police said he later turned himself in.

"As with all non-fatal shooting defendants, the DAO will be requesting he be held on $999,999 bail to help ensure that he is detained before trial," a spokesperson for the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office said.

Burger told NBC10 she's used to dealing with situations with disorderly customers but nothing like what happened on Tuesday.

"Tempers get raised but like, nothing like that, I've never had to experience," she said.

The shooting was one of four that occurred in Philadelphia on Tuesday, leaving two people dead and five others injured.

A man was on the 1800 block of East Lippincott Street around 7 p.m. when he was shot in the face. He was taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Shortly before 8 p.m., two people were on the 1200 block of West Venango Street when they were both shot by a gunman. The victims were taken to the hospital where they are in critical condition.

Finally, shortly after 8 p.m., a man was shot multiple times in the head on the 2900 block of Frankford Avenue. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

No arrests have been made and police have not released descriptions of any suspects in any of those shootings.

As of Tuesday night, there were 523 homicides in Philadelphia this year, the highest on record.

Figures from the city controller’s office show shootings have accounted for at least 454 of this year’s killings in Philadelphia. Those figures also show more than 1,700 people have sustained nonfatal gunshot wounds.

Last week both Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf rejected calls to issue emergency declarations on gun violence, arguing that such a declaration is not needed in light of their continued efforts to stem the bloodshed.

There are additional resources for people or communities that have endured gun violence in Philadelphia. Further information can be found here.

Contact Us