Two counselors at a Delaware County school for at-risk students are accused of repeatedly body slamming a 17-year-old student and striking the teen in the head.
Surveillance video captured Christopher Medina, 31, and Patrick Raquet, 34, allegedly attacking the Philadelphia boy at The Glen Mills Schools on July 19.
The boy could be heard telling the counselors, “I can’t breathe,” the Philadelphia Inquirer said.
Medina and Raquet both face aggravated assault, simple assault, child endangerment and reckless endangerment charges. A judge arraigned both men Friday and set bail at $200,000.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Medina had no comment as he was led into court Friday afternoon.
The Glen Mills Schools Executive Director Dr. Randy Ireson says the school “promptly self-reported this incident to the Pennsylvania State Police.”
“This isolated incident did not uphold our stringent ethical standards and protocols,” Ireson said.
The school’s top priority is putting student safety first, Ireson said. He added that the school is cooperating with investigators.
The Glen Mills Schools is the oldest existing school of its kind for at-risk children, serving court-referred students, according to the school’s website.
Philadelphia courts have stopped sending students to Glen Mills since the assault accusations emerged last month.
“Since 1826, The Glen Mills Schools has been committed to providing the highest quality of services to at-risk youth, transforming their lives by offering students a future filled with new opportunity, hope and resiliency,” Ireson said.