First of Gosnell's Abortion Clinic Workers Sentenced

Elizabeth Hampton previously pled guilty to perjury for lying to investigators

The first of eight former employees of abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell has been sentenced for her role in the investigation into his West Philadelphia clinic.

Elizabeth Hampton was given one year probation Tuesday after previously pleading guilty to one count of perjury.

The 55-year-old admitted she lied to investigators about practices inside the clinic, named the Women's Medical Society, at 3801 Lancaster Avenue. She later testified about her time there.

Gosnell would regularly perform late-term abortions at the clinic, according to Hampton and other co-workers. They said the doctor and other employees would regularly snip the necks of babies following procedures.

During her time at the clinic, Hampton would answer phones and clean medical equipment -- the same equipment investigators described as filthy and old.

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams later nicknamed the facility a "House of Horrors" in a 2011 grand jury report.

Hampton said employees were paid extra to take part in second trimester abortions. She told the court she was given an extra $20 for each procedure she took part in.

The former employee also played a role in the 2009 abortion procedure that resulted in the death of patient Karnamaya Mongar. Hampton said she gave Mongar two pills of Cytotec -- a drug used to open a woman's cervix -- even though she did not have any medical training.

Mongar, 41, died after being given an overdose of pain medicine and anesthesia.

Hampton is close friends with Gosnell's third wife Pearl Gosnell. The two women spent time together at a foster home when they were young.

Pearl Gosnell and five other associates are due in court for sentencing Wednesday.  All have pled guilty to either third-degree murder or conspiracy charges for crimes they committed at the clinic.

Except for Pearl Gosnell, all testified against their former employer.

Gosnell was found guilty of first-degree murder on May 13 in the deaths of three babies. He was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in Mongar’s death and of more than 200 counts of abortion law violations.

He was sentenced to three-consecutive life terms in exchange for giving up his right to appeal. With the deal, prosecutors took the possibility of a death sentence off the table.

Contact Vince Lattanzio at 610.668.5532, or follow @VinceLattanzio on Twitter.

Contact Us