Montgomery County

Fire Engulfs Montgomery County Apartment Complex

Fire engulfs a building at the Sherry Lake Apartment Homes in Whitemarsh Township leaving residents wondering how much is left of their homes

NBCUniversal, Inc.

What to Know

  • Fire broke out Tuesday morning at the Sherry Lake Apartment Homes complex in Whitemarsh Township.
  • Firefighters poured water onto the flames as smoke poured into the cold air.
  • Some residents fled the flames, pets in hand.

Flames jumped and smoke poured as a fire tore apart the roof of a Montgomery County apartment building Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. at one of the buildings of the Sherry Lake Apartment Homes along Butler Pike in Whitemarsh Township, Pennsylvania.

A fast-moving fire tore through an apartment building in Whitemarsh, Montgomery County, on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters could be seen pouring water onto the flames. By 10:45 a.m., smoke continued to pour out of the charred building, but the flames appeared to be vastly diminished.

No injuries have been reported in the one-alarm blaze, county dispatchers said.

Some residents, not already at work or school, had to be evacuated from their homes.

"I grabbed the animals, I just grabbed a couple of things that I had, literally at my hands, and threw some shoes on -- because I'm in my pajamas -- and I ran out the door," resident Amy Brenner said.

The roof of the building was gone, units appearing to be gutted. Brenner was nervous to see what was left of her home.

Not every pet owner was as lucky as Brenner to get animals out alive. The Red Paw Relief team said five dogs, five cats and a lizard were saved, but a fish and a cat died.

This apartment complex fire comes just hours after residents of a Blackwood, New Jersey, complex were forced out into the cold in the middle of the night.

People living in Buttonwood Village were forced into the cold weather early Tuesday morning after a fire burned at the Blackwood, New Jersey, apartment complex. NBC10’s Pamela Osborne reports on the blaze that caused two Gloucester Township police officers to be treated for smoke inhalation.

This story is developing and will be updated.

Contact Us