The family of a Pennsylvania high school teacher and assistant football coach who was electrocuted by a downed power line has filed suit against a utility company.
The lawsuit filed Monday in Northampton County alleges that Met-Ed and its parent company, FirstEnergy Corp., failed to maintain the power line that killed 32-year-old Thomas Poynton Jr.
Poynton and his wife heard an explosion July 26 at their home near Easton and saw sparks at the base of a nearby utility pole. The suit says the couple didn't see the downed line and stepped into the yard to retrieve their dogs, and Thomas Poynton fell and was electrocuted by current running through the ground.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Met-Ed and FirstEnergy declined comment.
Poynton taught and coached at Palisades High School in neighboring Bucks County.