Dozens of people were allowed back into their homes Friday night after a gas leak and hazmat situation prompted evacuations from one Philadelphia neighborhood.
The Philadelphia Fire Department began an "emergency evacuation" of the 2000 block of W. Boston Streets in the North Philadelphia section of Philadelphia around 3 p.m. Friday, according to fire officials.
A spokesperson for the Philadelphia Gas Works says that a contractor struck a 4-inch main gas line.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Deputy Fire Chief Ernie Hargett said the gas main ruptured and released natural gas into the air. At one point, there was concern about it igniting because there is lightning in the area.
More than 50 people, 40 adults and 12 children, were told to leave their homes and were placed onto SEPTA buses until they were moved to a nearby school, fire officials said.
All residents have now been allowed to return to their homes, according to officials.
No one was injured.
More stories on NBC10.com: